Thursday, August 03, 2006

today i decided to make myself vaguely useful in the kitchen and contribute something to the dinner table.
and so i had a brilliant idea that popped into my head.
ok ok. maybe not so brilliant since
1) it obviously is not my original idea
2) its a super-duper-easy-no-brainer sort of sidedish to put together
3) the idea surfaced due to excessive viewing of channel 16, weekdays from 8-9pm (woohoo! i love cable!).

so there.
now that ive successfully discredited myself of taking any credit whatsoever from my little contribution,
here's the final product:

(you know, i just realised i havent yet told you what i cooked. hurhur. so..presenting..*drumroll please...)

Roasted Potatoes (the usual kind and the sweet purple japanese kind) with dried basil and olive oil

here's another shot of mum scrapping the potaotes off the aluminium foil.
(it makes for easier cleaning. at least i dont have to scour the tray.)

i told you it was a sidedish. haha.
the main dish was obviously prepared by my mum.
oven-baked chicken thighs with spicy tomato sauce, onions, tomatoes and mushrooms.

and here's another shot just because i cant decide which looks better
(a.k.a more presentable and professional..
oh wait..i hear shouting in the background.."neither!"
tsk..cant u people be more supportive?)
my sidedish turned out better than expected.
i was actually anticipating undercooked potatoes OR burnt-to-a-crisp potatoes.
i was also expecting bland mushy-tasting cubes of starch.
alas(!), all my fears were but unnecessary.
my brother was helping himself to spoon after spoon of that carbo-laden stuff quietly
while my mum and dad raved over it.
(then again, they could just be being nice, as my parents always are.
but my bro? now thats a positive sign.)

so here, i conclude my very first
foodie-post-of-smthg-i-actually-cooked-on-my-own-this-year-without-adult-supervision.
ha.

cheers to more!
(:

on a sidenote,
(since we're on the topic of sidedishes..ok..fine..stop rolling your eyeballs. i'll shut up)
i've got new havaianas!
i love it i love it i love it i love it i love it i love it i love it i love it i love it!

one *ahem* small problem though.
its current residence in somewhere in the western part of socceroo country.

bah.
humbug.

No comments: